28 Apr 2016

The provisions of the Housing Consumers Protection Measures Act 95 of 1998 require home builders to be registered with the National Home Builders Registration Council and not to commence the construction of a home until they have been issued with a certificate of enrolment from the council.

However, the Act provides that an owner builder may apply to the council for exemption, which may be granted under the following circumstances:
the exemption would be in the public interest;
it would not undermine the objectives of the Act or the effectiveness of the council;
the effect would be extremely prejudicial to the interest of the applicant and housing consumers, should the exemption not be granted.
Speak to your NS Property estate agent for advice before you commence building as an owner builder.